Verizon & Google are releasing RCS support to Pixel 3/3 XL
Quick Facts -
- Verizon & Google are releasing RCS support to Pixel 3/3 XL.
- In a statement released to The Verge, Verizon announced that they will be rolling out RCS in the Android Messages app on the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL.
- "Rich Communication Services (RCS) is a communication protocol between mobile-telephone carriers and between phone and carrier, aiming at replacing SMS messages with a text-message system that is richer, provides phonebook polling, and transmit in-call multimedia. "
- RCS is still relatively new and it’s not a universal standard like old SMS.
- Samsung, Huawei, and Google are developing RCS platforms in aggression and they are the besties in the market, with other Android companies showing interests too.
- Recent Verizon statement -
“Verizon and Google will be rolling out enhanced messaging (RCS) in the Messages app on Google Pixel 3 and Google Pixel 3 XL beginning this Thursday, December 6th.
This messaging service brings, for example, typing indicators, very large group chats and the ability to transfer large files between the owners of these smartphones.”